From the Marketplace Datebook, here’s what’s coming up April 9:
- In Washington, the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee discusses international cooperation and space exploration at a hearing titled, “From Here to Mars.”
- A Senate Appropriations subcommittee holds a hearing on travel closer to the ground, assessing railway safety.
- The Commerce Department reports on wholesale inventories and sales for February.
- The House Committee on Small Business discusses “The Biggest Tax Problems for Small Businesses.” It is tax season.
- He’s sold a lot of magazines. Hugh Hefner turns 88.
- And someone who hates their name must have come up with this one. It’s National Name Yourself Day. Just for a day, people. You turn into a pumpkin at midnight. Call me Beatrice.
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.