In a typical month, 266,000 new jobs would be amazing. But April (and the 12 months before that) was not a typical month. Economists expected about a million, the labor market’s still in a deep hole and on balance, we expected women to get some of them. On today’s show we’ll take you behind the numbers, plus a little on Elon Musk’s autopilot problem and another round of our favorite game, Half Full/Half Empty.
- “Tesla says totally self-driving cars likely aren’t happening in 2021” from CNET
- “Five reasons for a self-driving car slowdown” from “Marketplace Tech”
- Plus this thread by Motherboard’s Edward Ongweso Jr.
- The April jobs report, table A-1
- Our Half Full/Half Empty topics: Vaccine IP, Uber and Lyft backing away from self-driving, Twitter’s tip jar and “House of the Dragon”
Check out all the thank-you gifts at $5 a month and keep “Make Me Smart” going strong when you donate today: marketplace.org/givesmart
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.