Income Upshot: Homer Simpson edition
Sure, you could enter your own income into our Income Upshot data tool. But we’ve got a few ideas as well.
How people at different incomes live, work and play. A new data interactive from Marketplace's Wealth & Poverty Desk. Try the interactive
And when we enter Homer into our Income Upshot tool, we find that he makes over $33,000 a year more than the median income in Springfield. We also know that people at his income are mostly married, they like dogs, they own their homes, they prefer a frosty cold one to a stem of red and they buy more small SUVs than any other cars.
I’d say we’re pretty dead on: Marge, Santa’s Little Helper, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Duff Beer and this car:
Station wagons are just small SUVs, right?
Now that we’ve got everyone’s favorite cartoon dad out of the way, try out the following public figures and pop culture creations:
- Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway in Omaha, Neb.
- Max Black, one of the “2 Broke Girls,” the CBS sitcom about diner waitresses in Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Jamie Dimon, CEO of Wall Street bank JPMorgan Chase in Manhattan, N.Y.
- Marge Gunderson, police chief in Brainerd, Minn., in the film “Fargo”
- Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo!, who lives in Palo Alto, Calif.
- Olivia Pope, the public relations maven in ABC’s political thriller, “Scandal”