From the Marketplace Datebook, here’s a look at what’s coming up Thursday:
- In Washington, the Labor Department releases its final fourth-quarter gross domestic product report.
- President Obama continues his spring trip with a visit to Vatican City where he’s scheduled to meet with His Holiness Pope Francis.
- The National Association of Realtors releases its February pending home sales index.
- And speaking of homes, Graceland, home to Elvis Presley, was declared a national historic landmark eight years ago.
- The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee discusses “Strengthening the Federal Student Loan Program for Borrowers.”
- On March 27, 1998, the FDA approved Viagra.
- Lastly, physicist and Nobel Laureate Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen was born on March 27, 1845. While working with electromagnetic radiation he took a picture of his wife’s hand revealing her bones. Fortunately, they weren’t broken. Voila, the first X-ray!
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.