Let's give a hand to the X-ray
Professor Gheorghe Burnei, head of the orthopedic department at Marie Curie Children's Hospital, holds X-rays from a patient during a morning visit, in Bucharest, Romania.
From the Marketplace Datebook, here’s a look at what’s coming up Thursday:
- In Washington, the Labor Department releases its final fourth-quarter gross domestic product report.
- President Obama continues his spring trip with a visit to Vatican City where he's scheduled to meet with His Holiness Pope Francis.
- The National Association of Realtors releases its February pending home sales index.
- And speaking of homes, Graceland, home to Elvis Presley, was declared a national historic landmark eight years ago.
- The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee discusses "Strengthening the Federal Student Loan Program for Borrowers."
- On March 27, 1998, the FDA approved Viagra.
- Lastly, physicist and Nobel Laureate Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen was born on March 27, 1845. While working with electromagnetic radiation he took a picture of his wife's hand revealing her bones. Fortunately, they weren't broken. Voila, the first X-ray!