Look, I love my pets as much as the next guy, but there’s gotta be a limit and I think I found it.
A woman in Australia was concerned that her pet goldfish seemed to be choking on something.
Off to the vet she went, and sure enough Conquer, a goldfish — I can’t emphasize this enough — had swallowed one of those pebbles you put at the bottom of a bowl. A goldfish bowl.
Long story short, emergency fish surgery and one night in the animal hospital later, Conquer was fine.
The final bill? $375 dollars.
For a goldfish.
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.