My Two Cents

Political economy?

Chris Farrell Sep 18, 2008

The credit crisis is having an impact on the race for the White House. The trading gap between Obama and MCCain had narrowed on the Iowa electronic presidential futures market after the Republican convention. Unlike the polls that placed them about even at the time, investors still gave Obama a slight edge. But the trading gap has widened again. The presidential futures market now gives Obama a 61% chance of winning in Novermber, with McCain down to 39%.

We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.

Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.

In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.

Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.