The Sovereign Wealth Wave
Economist and money advisor Ed Yardeni has a nice table in his latest newsletter on the buying spree by the sovereign wealth funds. This is only the beginning.
1) CIC made a $5 billion investment in Morgan Stanley.
2) Merrill Lynch received a $5 billion cash infusion from Singapore’s state-owned Temasek Holdings.
3) ADIA bought a $7.5 billion stake in Citigroup.
4) China’s government-controlled Citic Securities paid $1 billion for 6% of Bear Stearns, which invested the same amount in the Chinese investment bank.
5) UBS boosted its capital base by $11.5 billion from Government of Singapore Investment Corp. and an unidentified Middle Eastern investor by selling them bonds that will convert into shares.
As a nonprofit news organization, our future depends on listeners like you who believe in the power of public service journalism.
Your investment in Marketplace helps us remain paywall-free and ensures everyone has access to trustworthy, unbiased news and information, regardless of their ability to pay.
Donate today — in any amount — to become a Marketplace Investor. Now more than ever, your commitment makes a difference.