The Sovereign Wealth Wave
Economist and money advisor Ed Yardeni has a nice table in his latest newsletter on the buying spree by the sovereign wealth funds. This is only the beginning.
1) CIC made a $5 billion investment in Morgan Stanley.
2) Merrill Lynch received a $5 billion cash infusion from Singapore’s state-owned Temasek Holdings.
3) ADIA bought a $7.5 billion stake in Citigroup.
4) China’s government-controlled Citic Securities paid $1 billion for 6% of Bear Stearns, which invested the same amount in the Chinese investment bank.
5) UBS boosted its capital base by $11.5 billion from Government of Singapore Investment Corp. and an unidentified Middle Eastern investor by selling them bonds that will convert into shares.
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.