Why has the Oscar lost its buzz?
Overview of Oscar statues on display at 'Meet the Oscars' at the Time Warner Center on February 25, 2010 in New York City.
For some culture watchers it feels like there's a discernible lack of pre-Oscar buzz surrounding this year's Academy Awards ceremony. Is it possible that the Sochi Olympics have us distracted? Or that, with the one-two (-three?) punch of the Super Bowl, the Golden Globes and the Grammy Awards we've hit 'peak TV?'
As we approach the Academy Awards, we've assembled a list of how the most-nominated films have done at the domestic box office:
- American Hustle | 10 Academy Award nominations | $142 million at the domestic box office
- Gravity| 10 nominations | $268 million
- 12 Years a Slave | 9 nominations | $48 million
- Nebraska | 6 nominations | $16 million
- Dallas Buyers Club | 6 nominations | $24 million
- Captain Phillips | 6 nominations | $106 million