For some culture watchers it feels like there's a discernible lack of pre-Oscar buzz surrounding this year's Academy Awards ceremony. Is it possible that the Sochi Olympics have us distracted? Or that, with the one-two (-three?) punch of the Super Bowl, the Golden Globes and the Grammy Awards we've hit 'peak TV?'
As we approach the Academy Awards, we've assembled a list of how the most-nominated films have done at the domestic box office:
- American Hustle | 10 Academy Award nominations | $142 million at the domestic box office
- Gravity| 10 nominations | $268 million
- 12 Years a Slave | 9 nominations | $48 million
- Nebraska | 6 nominations | $16 million
- Dallas Buyers Club | 6 nominations | $24 million
- Captain Phillips | 6 nominations | $106 million