Twitter was the first big tech company to tell workers they could work remotely indefinitely, even after the pandemic wanes. Does this portend tech workers fleeing the high price of living in Silicon Valley, or an even greater wave of immigration away from big cities? We’ll talk about it. Plus: spaceflight simulators, the legacy of “Demolition Man” and the grim outlook for America’s restaurants.
Here are some of the links we talked about today:
- “Tech Workers Consider Escaping Silicon Valley’s Sky-High Rents” in Bloomberg
- “One-Quarter of American Restaurants Won’t Reopen, OpenTable Says” also in Bloomberg
- “What ‘Demolition Man’ got right about the future” on “Marketplace Tech”
- This incredible browser-based spaceflight simulator.
- This tweet from a Canadian worker.
- The Ministry of Supply online store.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.