MID-DAY UPDATE: The Senate could vote today to send $26 billion to the states…
- … The “jobs bill“would avert state worker layoffs.
- New unemployment claims rise
- Sales for big retailers like Costco, Macy’s, & Target are sluggish
- Russia bans grain exports because of drought. U.S. wheat prices hit a two-year high
- Law would help Chinese workers unionize
- You might have to pay extra for “premium” web content
- Mortgage rates hit another record low
- Sell the right to immigrate to the highest bidder?
- Are Internet apps killing the telephone number?
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.