Houdini, debt, and dandelions
A boy bikes through a field of dandelions, near the village of Stolbovaya, Moscow.
Here’s a look at what’s coming up next week (March 24 - 28):
- Let’s start things off with some magic. Harry Houdini was born on March 24, 1874. Not an easy guy to lock up. Internet sources say he showed soldiers how to escape from German handcuffs during World War I.
- On Tuesday—lots of stuff to talk about. The House Financial Services Committee is scheduled to discuss “Why Debt Matters.”
- The Conference Board releases its monthly Consumer Confidence Index.
- They had lots of confidence. The TV series “Cagney and Lacey” premiered in 1982. The crime drama shook up the norm, placing two female detectives in lead roles.
- And feminist and “Ms Magazine” founder Gloria Steinem turns 80.
- Mid-week the Commerce Department reports on durable goods orders for February.
- On March 27, 2006 Graceland, home to Elvis Presley, was declared a national historic landmark. And sixteen years ago on the same date the FDA approved Viagra.
- Finally now that we’re a week into spring, gardening may be on your to-do list. Well, March 28th is Weed Appreciation Day. Did you know that some weeds are edible? We here at Datebook headquarters say pull those ugly dandelions.
Featured in: Marketplace for Friday, March 21, 2014