It’s the first week of summer — culturally, if not meteorologically. Changing of the seasons is a great time to start anew on some things, like redistributing vaccines for example; and to stop doing other things, like Facebook’s policy carve outs for politicians or the NFL’s shocking “race-norming” practice. We’ll talk about all of it, plus a whale vomit jackpot.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “Biden admin reveals plans for first 25 million donated vaccine doses” from Politico
- “NFL to halt ‘race-norming,’ review Black claims” from ESPN
- “‘Race Norming’ Blamed for Denying Payouts to Ex-NFL Players With Dementia” from the University of California, San Francisco
- “Giving people money works. Honestly.” from The Washington Post’s opinion section
- “COVID-19 cases hit their lowest point in the U.S. since the pandemic began” from Axios
- “Biden called Larry Summers to discuss his economic plans” from The Washington Post
- “Facebook to end special treatment for politicians after Trump ban” from The Verge
- “Trump deplatforms himself” from Platformer
- “Meditation app backs Naomi Osaka after French Open withdrawal, vows to pay player fines” from Fox Business
- “Fishermen Net Once-In-Lifetime Find: $1.5 Million Worth of Whale Vomit” from Insider
- “United will buy 15 ultrafast airplanes from start-up Boom Supersonic” from CNBC
Finally: We need your voice memos! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood to answer! Here’s how to do it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.