The New York Times is reporting (and the White House is denying) that the Trump administration passed on buying more doses of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine. We’ll give you the view from the 200 millionth place in line, where Kai and Molly are patiently waiting. Plus: the end of cash bail in Los Angeles, civil forfeiture on the rise and, uh, aliens.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. more vaccine doses.” from The New York Times
- “White House denies report saying it passed when Pfizer offered additional vaccine doses” from MarketWatch
- “On first day as L.A. County D.A., George Gascón eliminates bail, remakes sentencing rules” from the LA Times
- “Trump Aims to Boost Vaccine Confidence at White House Summit” from Bloomberg
- Our episode from 2017: “The police can just take your stuff”
- “Former Israeli space security chief says aliens exist, humanity not ready” from The Jerusalem Post
“Make Me Smart” is powered by listeners like you — become a Marketplace Investor today!
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.