We’ve been covering COVID-19’s impact on women in the workforce for a while, and this New York Times profile of three moms “on the brink” hit close to home. Today, we take a step back and look at how these women and their struggles are being framed and reckoned with. Plus: More SPAC news, Valentine’s Day plans and the coverage of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “Marjorie Taylor Greene harangues Democrats, the media, some GOP after getting booted off committees” from NBC News
- And the other view of that presser
- “Three American mothers on the brink” from The New York Times
- Our episode from September, “Coronavirus is pushing women out of work”
- “DNA-testing firm 23andMe to go public through Branson-backed SPAC in a $3.5 billion deal” from CNBC
- “U.S. falls out of top 10 in measure of innovation” from Marketplace
- And a book recommendation: “Kill Switch” by Adam Jentleson
Thanks to everyone who joined us for the live happy hour taping on YouTube! Join us next Friday at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time/6:30 p.m. Eastern —subscribe to our channel and sign up for notifications so you don’t miss it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.