We were all surprised by this morning’s May jobs numbers, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t trust them. That’s a dangerous road to go down. On today’s show, we’ll pick apart how the Bureau of Labor Statistics does the numbers and the wonkiness behind the (forgive us) wonky numbers. Plus: revolt over comments from pubic officials in The New York Times and on Facebook.
Here are some links to what we talked about today:
- The May jobs report!
- This Paul Krugman thread and his apologetic follow-up.
- It’s worth digging into the actual BLS release too, if you’re interested.
- “Facebook employees said they were ‘caught in an abusive relationship’ with Trump as internal debates raged” in the Washington Post
- “The New York Times staff revolt over Tom Cotton’s op-ed, explained” in Vox
- “‘Black Lives Matter’: In giant yellow letters, D.C. mayor sends message to Trump” in the Washington Post
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.