When you do the numbers on how many people police killed in nonviolent incidents just last year — to say nothing of the video and testimony coming out of multiple American cities this week alone — you can’t come to any other conclusion. This is a broken system. Also on the docket today, with guest host Marielle Segarra: A third vaccine, dating in the pandemic, the U.S. Postal Service and the “denim cycle.”
Here’s everything we talked about on the show today:
- Read Marielle’s work for Marketplace here
- “U.S. Economy Ramps Up on Spending Surge, Hiring Gains” from The Wall Street Journal
- “PepsiCo bets on vaccine-led reopenings for soda sales boost” from Reuters
- “Over half of police-involved killings in 2020 began after non-violent incidents ” from Axios
- “Pfizer CEO says third Covid vaccine dose likely needed within 12 months” from CNBC
- “Stanford begins testing Pfizer vaccine in babies and young children” from Mercury News
- “‘A win-win-win proposal’: Banking and booze could save the U.S. Postal Service, experts say” from NBC News
- “Banking at the post office? Service would help millions of ‘unbanked’ Americans” from the Chicago Tribune opinion section
Join us on YouTube Fridays at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time/6:30 p.m. Eastern for our live happy hour episode! Subscribe to our channel and sign up for notifications so you don’t miss it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.
You make our
Support nonprofit news you love with a gift today.