From the Marketplace Datebook, here’s an extended look at what’s coming up next week. Yep, a whole week, so grab a seat:
- The first singing telegram is believed to have been delivered on February 10, 1933. Oh, how thoughtful.
- Every dog has its day. Or in this case, two days at the top of the week. The annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show takes place in New York City.
- It was 65 years ago that we met the character Willy Loman when “Death of a Salesman” premiered on Broadway. In a recent revival the role was played by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. Miss him already.
- On Tuesday, some people observe ‘Get Out Your Guitar Day.’ I don’t … and I’m so glad my neighbors don’t either.
- On hump day … a look at the nation’s balance sheet. The Treasury department issues its monthly statement for January.
- February 14th is Valentines’ Day. If you haven’t bought a card yet, do it now or you’ll end up with something less-than-fantastic. Because those guys who thought ahead have already cleaned out the cool cards with nice sentiments. Go. Go now.
- And while I started with dogs, this one is for the birds. To benefit our feathered friends, the annual Great Backyard Bird Count begins on Friday. Creating a record of where the birds are. I’m exhausted just thinking about it.
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.