TEXT OF STORY
Steve Chiotakis: It could be a busy weekend for car dealers. The $3 billion Cash for Clunkers program is coming to an end. The Obama administration announced yesterday that the popular trade-in program will wind down Monday night. Marketplace’s Amy Scott reports.
Amy Scott: The Obama Administration says dealers have sold more than 450,000 vehicles through Cash for Clunkers so far, with the government kicking in $2 billion in rebates. That leaves another billion dollars in the program. Officials say that should last through Monday’s 8 p.m. Eastern deadline.
But some dealers have already stopped offering the incentives. They’ve complained about delays in getting reimbursed by the government. On a talk show yesterday in Philadelphia, President Obama said the money is on the way.
PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: This is actually a high-class problem to have, that we’re selling too many cars too quickly. And there’s some backlog in the application process. It is getting fixed.
The administration says it’s tripled the number of workers processing applications. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood called the program “a lifeline to the automobile industry.” Carmakers have rehired workers to boost production. But analysts say the burst of demand could take a bite out of sales in the fall.
In New York, I’m Amy Scott for Marketplace.
News and information you need, from a source you trust.
In a world where it’s easier to find disinformation than real information, trustworthy journalism is critical to our democracy and our everyday lives. And you rely on Marketplace to be that objective, credible source, each and every day.
This vital work isn’t possible without you. Marketplace is sustained by our community of Investors—listeners, readers, and donors like you who believe that a free press is essential – and worth supporting.