Show of hands: Who’s still cleaning off their groceries? As the COVID-19 pandemic has worn on, experts have developed a better understanding of the disease, the way it spreads and how to treat it. But when the science is fluid and the government response is patchy, a lot can get lost in translation. That’s what we’re talking about today. But first: law enforcement, Big Tech and the Proud Boys.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “Tech spent years fighting foreign terrorists. Then came the Capitol riot.” from Protocol
- “Police Shrugged Off the Proud Boys, Until They Attacked the Capitol” from The New York Times
- “A new study suggests 3 feet, not 6 feet, is sufficient distance for school students, with mask-wearing and other safety measures kept in place.” also from The New York Times
- “Peter Thiel is making the biggest political bet of his life” from Vox
- Whither Gen X?
- Tiffany Haddish learning she won a Grammy
Finally, we’re raising money for a new season of Marketplace’s kids podcast, “Million Bazillion.” Donate today and your contribution will be matched dollar for dollar!
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.