It was just days ago that Facebook declared it would “not make policy changes tied to revenue pressure” after advertisers announced a boycott over the platform’s moderation efforts — or lack thereof. Today, Facebook announced it would, in fact, respond to that boycott by tamping down misinformation and discriminatory ads on its platform. So, that worked. Plus: Why oh why oh why aren’t more Americans wearing masks???? We need a drink.
Here are links to some of the stuff we talked about today:
- “Facebook will bar more hateful content in ads, label some posts from politicians” from CNET
- “The Right’s New Favorite Social Media Platform Parler Is Just as Restrictive as Twitter” from OneZero
- “Coronavirus cases rise in states with relaxed face mask policies” from the Philadelphia Inquirer
- “New York City reports no protest-related upticks in Covid-19” from Politico
- Plus a bonus we didn’t get to: “Go ahead and watch. Cute or funny animal videos can be good for you.” from the Washington Post
Listening makes you smarter…
donating makes it all possible.
You asked for it, and we delivered: “Make Me Smart” is now coming to you five days a week, helping you make sense of what’s happening every day.
As a nonprofit news organization, our future depends on your investment in the essential service we provide.