It was just days ago that Facebook declared it would “not make policy changes tied to revenue pressure” after advertisers announced a boycott over the platform’s moderation efforts — or lack thereof. Today, Facebook announced it would, in fact, respond to that boycott by tamping down misinformation and discriminatory ads on its platform. So, that worked. Plus: Why oh why oh why aren’t more Americans wearing masks???? We need a drink.
Here are links to some of the stuff we talked about today:
- “Facebook will bar more hateful content in ads, label some posts from politicians” from CNET
- “The Right’s New Favorite Social Media Platform Parler Is Just as Restrictive as Twitter” from OneZero
- “Coronavirus cases rise in states with relaxed face mask policies” from the Philadelphia Inquirer
- “New York City reports no protest-related upticks in Covid-19” from Politico
- Plus a bonus we didn’t get to: “Go ahead and watch. Cute or funny animal videos can be good for you.” from the Washington Post
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.