Looking for a great deal?
Get ALL THREE of our new thank-you gifts when you donate $120.
This is a limited time offer – so act soon!
What if you didn’t go shopping for an entire year? It would probably save you some money, time and space. Sarah Lazarovic went on a shopping diet and wrote a book of essays and illustrations called “A Bunch of Pretty Things I Did Not Buy.”
Lazarovic says the only secret to not shopping is just … well, not shopping. But she does have some tips.
Sarah Lazarovic’s six rules for better shopping:
1. Buy things that will last a long time: “Aim for seven years, hope for 10.”
2. Don’t get rid of something just because you bought another thing. “That said, if you never wear something, pass it on.”
3. Don’t purchase love-at-first-sight items: “Unless it’s the thing you’ve been searching for all your life and it is flying by on a speeding train, never to be seen again. Even then, don’t buy it.”
4. Beware the door buster sale: “Never buy anything just because it’s on sale.”
5. Before buying something new, check to see if you already have it in your closet: “If they are closer than a clog’s length apart, don’t buy the new thing.”
6. So, you’re a conscious consumer?: “It may be a fair-trade, organic leg warmer, but if your legs aren’t cold, it’s still a frivolous purchase.”
If you’re a member of your local public radio station, we thank you — because your support helps those stations keep programs like Marketplace on the air. But for Marketplace to continue to grow, we need additional investment from those who care most about what we do: superfans like you.
Your donation — as little as $5 — helps us create more content that matters to you and your community, and to reach more people where they are – whether that’s radio, podcasts or online.
When you contribute directly to Marketplace, you become a partner in that mission: someone who understands that when we all get smarter, everybody wins.