How much productivity are we losing to the election?
Share Now on:
Making Election Day a holiday would surely benefit democracy, but what about the economy? A listener wants to know, so for this Whadda Ya Wanna Know Wednesday, we’re looking at the cost to businesses when Election Day stretches to Election Week and beyond. Plus: questions about jobs data, tax filing in the pandemic and one question from a listener via Twitter.
Here’s a list of everything we talked about today:
- “The case for making Election Day an official holiday” from the “Marketplace Morning Report”
- Pew data on Election Day as a holiday
- “Election Day likely cost billions in lost productivity” from Marketplace
- “GOP retains Senate seats despite record-breaking Democratic fundraising” from Axios
- “GOP House candidates overcome fundraising deficits in toss-up races” from Open Secrets, the Center for Responsive Politics
- “Working from home? You might owe income tax to two states” from CNN
Finally: We need your voice memos! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood to answer! Here’s how to do it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.