Some Big Tech news broke right before we recorded this episode: A federal judge dismissed antitrust lawsuits brought against Facebook by more than 40 states. Today we’ll spend some time breaking down the reasoning, its impact on Facebook’s share price and what to expect next from Lina Khan’s Federal Trade Commission. Plus: The heat wave in Oregon, LeVar Burton and a gender-reveal party that’s … actually good?
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “Federal court tosses antitrust suits seeking Facebook’s breakup” from Politico, and this instant analysis from The Washington Post’s Will Oremus
- Our previous episodes discussing Lina Khan’s “hipster antitrust” and Tim Wu’s thoughts on the “new Gilded Age”
- “Portland records all-time high temperature of 115, setting new record for third day in a row” from The Oregonian
- “LeVar Burton’s Quest to Succeed Alex Trebek” from The New York Times
- “New Jersey couple holds WWE-style gender reveal party” from 6ABC
Finally: We need your voice memos! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood to answer! Here’s how to do it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.