WARNING: Valentine's Day is approaching
Hailey, a Boston Terrier Beagle, yawns at a media event ahead of the 138th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on February 6, 2014 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
From the Marketplace Datebook, here’s an extended look at what’s coming up next week. Yep, a whole week, so grab a seat:
- The first singing telegram is believed to have been delivered on February 10, 1933. Oh, how thoughtful.
- Every dog has its day. Or in this case, two days at the top of the week. The annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show takes place in New York City.
- It was 65 years ago that we met the character Willy Loman when "Death of a Salesman" premiered on Broadway. In a recent revival the role was played by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. Miss him already.
- On Tuesday, some people observe 'Get Out Your Guitar Day.' I don’t ... and I’m so glad my neighbors don’t either.
- On hump day … a look at the nation’s balance sheet. The Treasury department issues its monthly statement for January.
- February 14th is Valentines’ Day. If you haven’t bought a card yet, do it now or you’ll end up with something less-than-fantastic. Because those guys who thought ahead have already cleaned out the cool cards with nice sentiments. Go. Go now.
- And while I started with dogs, this one is for the birds. To benefit our feathered friends, the annual Great Backyard Bird Count begins on Friday. Creating a record of where the birds are. I’m exhausted just thinking about it.