The House of Representatives might’ve voted on a short-term spending solution on the debt ceiling, but one of our listeners is still wondering where the debt limit came from and why it’s a thing. We’ll get into the history, which goes back to World War I. Plus, we’ll answer your questions about retirement, carbon capture and the landscape services industry.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “U.S. House votes for short-term debt ceiling fix, averting default” from Reuters
- The 1954 article on the history of the debt limit from The Monkey Cage blog
- “Carbon capture technology has been around for decades — here’s why it hasn’t taken off” from CNBC
- “How Elon Musk will award $100 million in carbon capture contest” from NBC News
- Some stats on the landscape industry
Our show needs your voice! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for our hosts to answer! Send a voice memo or give us a call at 508-82-SMART (508-827-6278).
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.