The Small Business Administration was supposed to release detailed information about who got hundreds of billions of dollars of taxpayer-backed Paycheck Protection Program loans. But at a hearing yesterday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said it’s “confidential information.” We’re going to talk a lot about the shredding of norms on today’s show … if Kai’s 6/10 recording setup can make it through the end of the taping.
Here’s a list of some of the stuff we’re talking about today:
- “Trump administration won’t say who got $511 billion in taxpayer-backed coronavirus loans” in the Washington Post
- “Billions in bailouts my never be fully disclosed to taxpayers” from the U.S. Public Interest Research Group
- “Milley Apologizes for Role in Trump Photo Op: ‘I Should Not Have Been There’” in the New York Times
- “Counting the Days Under Virus Lockdown by the Length of Trudeau’s Hair” in the New York Times
- Finally, Kai’s dismal “room rating”:
Correction (June 12, 2020): A previous version of this page misstated how much in PPP loans could be kept confidential. The headline and text have been corrected.