We taped today’s show while waiting for President Donald Trump’s first non-tweet remarks since election night, not to mention results from key states. To fill the time, let’s talk a bit about voter turnout, both in this election and across history. Plus, a bit about misinformation and why that dubious Hunter Biden story wasn’t the “October surprise” that Hillary Clinton’s emails were back in 2016.
Here’s a list of everything we talked about today.
- “The 2020 Election Set a Record for Voter Turnout. But Why Is It Normal for So Many Americans to Sit Out Elections?” from Time
- “Who can afford to vote?” from our podcast “This Is Uncomfortable”
- “Misinformation 2020: What the Data Tells Us About Election-Related Falsehoods” from Defense One
- “On Election Day, Facebook and Twitter Did Better by Making Their Products Worse” from The New York Times
- This performance of Beyoncé’s “Freedom”
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.