We’re trying to raise $200,000 by midnight! Help us reach our goal.
It’s been more than a week since President Donald Trump took executive action to extend unemployment benefits. One of our listeners wants to know: Has anyone actually received a check yet? The answer is … complicated. But we’ll do what we can. Plus, questions about COVID-19 testing, the Dow and Trump’s proposal to eliminate payroll taxes on today’s Whadda Ya Wanna Know Wednesday. But first, there are some bigger stories we need to talk about.
Here’s a list of everything we talked about today:
- Live updates on the NBA, which has postponed playoff games tonight after the Bucks declined to play in protest of police brutality
- And more on that story from ESPN
- “Antioch teen taken into custody for shooting deaths in Kenosha Tuesday” from the Kenosha News
- “Kyle Rittenhouse, charged in Kenosha protest homicides, considered himself militia” from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- “$300 Unemployment Benefit: Who Will Get It and When?” from the New York Times
- “‘It’s Like Having No Testing’: Coronavirus Test Results Are Still Delayed” also from the New York Times
- “Dow index boosts its tech profile with addition of Salesforce” from Marketplace
- “Terminating payroll tax could end Social Security benefits in 2023, chief actuary warns” from NBC News
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.