We’re trying to raise $200,000 by midnight! Help us reach our goal.
U.S. markets rose on President Donald Trump’s claims he was recovering from COVID-19, but the stock market isn’t the economy. For real economic growth, Goldman Sachs is looking ahead to Election Day, when economists there say a “blue wave” could portend faster economic growth because it makes a new coronavirus relief bill more likely. We’ll talk about it. But first: With the last big blockbuster taken off the schedule for 2020, Regal Cinemas is shutting down and 48,000 people are out of a job. At least we have Doggface208.
Here’s a list of what we talked about today:
- “U.S. Stocks Close Higher on Signs of Muted Political Risk” from The Wall Street Journal
- “Goldman’s chief economist breaks down why a Biden-led blue wave would prompt an upgrade in growth forecasts” from Business Insider
- “Regal Cinemas Suspending Operations at All U.S. Locations” also from The Wall Street Journal
- The trailer for “Vampires vs. The Bronx“
- “Vampires vs. the Bronx Is a Kids’ Movie About Class Warfare” from Wired
- “Nathan Apodaca is the skateboarding, Fleetwood Mac-loving TikTok star that 2020 needs” from the Los Angeles Times, plus remakes of Apodaca’s video from the military and Mick Fleetwood himself:
Finally: We need your voice memos! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood to answer! Here’s how to do it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.