It’s not that they’re aliens, but they’re not not aliens. A new Pentagon report released Friday can’t account for 143 “unidentified aerial phenomena” seen since 2004, though it has a few ideas. We’ll allow ourselves to speculate, and quote “Contact” a bit on today’s show. That, plus a grab bag of news to round out the week.
Here’s everything we talked about on the show today:
- “U.S. Has No Explanation for Unidentified Objects and Stops Short of Ruling Out Aliens” from The New York Times
- You can read the full UFO report here (PDF).
- “Chauvin gets 22 1/2 years for George Floyd’s murder” from MPR News
- “Justice Dept. sues state of Georgia over new voting restrictions” from The Washington Post
- “Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated” from the Associated Press
- This video from Imani Barbarin about Britney Spears’ conservatorship trial.
- And our other Half Full/Half Empty topics: returning to the movies, Big Tech antitrust bills and Prime Day
Join us on YouTube Fridays at 3:30 p.m. Pacific/6:30 p.m. Eastern for our live happy hour episode! Subscribe to our channel and sign up for notifications so you don’t miss it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.