Our fiscal year ends tomorrow. Can you chip in $50, $25 or even $10 to help us reach our goal?
How much has President Donald Trump paid in income taxes? We’ve been waiting since the 2016 primaries for his returns, and The New York Times finally dropped years of tax data in a bombshell report showing exactly how Trump has avoided paying much at all. Ahead of tomorrow’s episode all about the tax code more broadly, we’ll spend some time today scratching at the surface of the revelations. Plus: targeted ads, fat bears and a pumpkin spice update.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- The New York Times’ massive package on 20 years of Trump’s tax data
- “18 Revelations From a Trove of Trump Tax Records,” a shorter version also from The New York Times
- “Revealed: Trump campaign strategy to deter millions of Black Americans from voting in 2016” from Channel 4, the British network
- “Why Don’t We Just Ban Targeted Advertising?” from Wired
- “Ban Targeted Advertising” from The New Republic
- “Starbucks isn’t selling its Pumpkin Spice Latte at hundreds of stores in the Middle East this year” from Business Insider
- The National Park Service’s Fat Bear bracket
Finally, we hit our $100,000 goal for our spring pledge drive, but now Molly Wood has thrown out a new challenge for our stretch goal. Give now at marketplace.org/givesmart!
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.