Today we get hollowed out from more revelations from the Wall Street Journal’s ongoing reporting of what goes on behind the scenes at Facebook and the tradeoffs the tech giant makes in order to stay a tech giant. We also take a look at the Federal Reserve’s review of its ethics rules. And a Make Me Smile courtesy of listeners like you.
Give now to support the show you love and to get the “Make Me Smart” banana pants and ringtones! Marketplace.org/givesmart.
Here’s everything we talked about on today’s show:
- “Facebook Employees Flag Drug Cartels and Human Traffickers. The Company’s Response Is Weak, Documents Show” from The Wall Street Journal
- “Instagram boss Adam Mosseri on teenagers, TikToks and paying creators” from Recode Media
- “Instagram boss says social media is like cars: People are going to die” from Mashable
- “Powell opens review into Fed ethics rules after backlash over trading” from Politico
- “Newsom California recall election’s costly lessons” from The Los Angeles Times
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.