We got the Biden administration’s first advisory from the surgeon general today, and it’s about how mis- and disinformation have put lives at risk in the COVID-19 pandemic. As Los Angeles County gets ready for another mask mandate, we’ll talk about what that advisory could mean for regulations down the line. Also on today’s show: Shohei Ohtani, inflation and a reason to think twice before griping on Slack.
Here’s everything we talked about:
- The text of Surgeon General Vivek Murthy’s advisory
- “Facebook, Twitter and other social media companies need to be treated like Big Tobacco” from NBC News
- “LA County will require masks indoors amid COVID-19 surge” from the Los Angeles Times
- “Transatlantic inflation surge fuels economists’ fears of overheating” from the Financial Times
- “Cleveland Clinic, Mount Sinai Won’t Give Biogen’s New Alzheimer’s Drug” from The Wall Street Journal
- “Netflix Fires Marketing Execs for Criticizing Bosses Over Slack” from The Hollywood Reporter
- “The Origin Story of Shohei Ohtani, Two-Way Superhero” from The Ringer
- “ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith apologizes for “insensitive” comments about Japanese baseball star Shohei Ohtani” from CBS News
- One of Ohtani’s more incredible hits
Join us on YouTube Fridays at 3:30 p.m. Pacific/6:30 p.m. Eastern for our live happy hour episode! Subscribe to our channel and sign up for notifications so you don’t miss it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.