More than 150 million Americans are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and that’s great. But that huge number masks some series disparities in this country, to say nothing of the rest of the world. On today’s show, we’ll talk a bit about virus variants and lasting effects in India and Brazil. Later, we’ll check in on President Joe Biden’s infrastructure plan and briefly pivot to sports and art.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “India’s black fungus outbreak: Recovering covid patients grapple with removal of eyes” from The Washington Post
- “Brazil Passes 500,000 Covid Deaths, a Tragedy With No Sign of Letup” from The New York Times
- “Biden, Senators Agree to Roughly $1 Trillion Infrastructure Plan” from The Wall Street Journal
- “Antitrust Overhaul Passes Its First Tests. Now, the Hard Parts.” from The New York Times
- “Cheer for Black girls with orange hair, long nails, tats, and lashes” from The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Watch Sha’Carri Richardson’s win at the Olympic trials
- “Rembrandt’s Damaged Masterpiece Is Whole Again, With A.I.’s Help” from The New York Times
Join us on YouTube Fridays at 3:30 p.m. Pacific/6:30 p.m. Eastern for our live happy hour episode! Subscribe to our channel and sign up for notifications so you don’t miss it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.