We’re inflating! Today, we got word that consumer prices jumped the highest they ever have in the last 30 years. One listener wants to know how much of that has to do with former President Donald Trump’s trade tariffs. The answer? Not as much as you’d think. Plus, we’re fielding your questions about who is or isn’t keeping governments and businesses accountable on climate action, and the origin of “bananapants.”
Here is everything we talked about today:
- “U.S. Inflation Hit 30-Year High in October as Consumer Prices Jump 6.2%” from The Wall Street Journal
- “Yellen says reciprocal lowering of tariffs could help ease inflation” from Reuters
- “Q&A: Understanding Paris Agreement NDCs” from the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
- Wonk out with the October jobs report (Table A-15 is on page 28)
- And the episode that made “bananapants” a thing on “Make Me Smart
Thanks to all of you who submitted a question. If you’d like the hosts to answer a question in an upcoming episode, call us at 508-82-SMART (508-827-6278) or send a voice memo.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.