The United States is the richest country in the world. Why can’t we get our act together around COVID-19? If it sounds like we’re oversimplifying, on the show today we’ll look to Germany and how it’s kept factories open while avoiding severe outbreaks. Plus, why so many oil tankers are slowing way down, and why men need to get over themselves. What else is new?
Referenced in today’s show:
- “Oil Tankers Drag Out Sailing Times as Surplus Snarls Ports” in Bloomberg
- “Revealed: Amazon told workers paid sick leave law doesn’t cover warehouses” in The Guardian
- “How Germany Kept Its Factories Open During the Pandemic” in the Wall Street Journal
- “The Simpsons” season six, episode 14, “Bart’s Comet,” specifically this scene.
- “Sure, the Velociraptors Are Still on the Loose, but That’s No Reason Not to Reopen Jurassic Park” in McSweeney’s
- “Nearly Half of Men Say They Do Most of the Home Schooling. 3 Percent of Women Agree.” in the New York Times
- “Malaria ‘completely stopped’ by microbe” in the BBC
Listening makes you smarter…
donating makes it all possible.
You asked for it, and we delivered: “Make Me Smart” is now coming to you five days a week, helping you make sense of what’s happening every day.
As a nonprofit news organization, our future depends on your investment in the essential service we provide.
Thanks to our
Your support keeps us going strong, even through