Kai has said it over and over again: We’ve given up on this pandemic. But people are still dying by the thousands from coronavirus infections. And, according to an interview Kimberly talks about today, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, says we’re still in the first wave. All that, some cookies, plus: Kai sings!
Here’s a list of some of the stuff we talked about today:
- “U.S. Sen. John Cornyn will file bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday” from the Texas Tribune
- A look back at the 1983 Senate vote to declare MLK Day a national holiday
- “Anthony S. Fauci: ‘We are still in the first wave’ of coronavirus” from the Washington Post
- “FAA says it won’t make masks on planes mandatory” from the Hill
- “Ricketts tells local governments they won’t get federal COVID-19 money if they require masks” from the Omaha World-Herald
- “Yes, You Actually Can Do Something About The Coronavirus” from BuzzFeed
- “D.C. chefs raising money to fight racism have possibly created the world’s biggest bake sale” from the Washington Post
- Finally, this Lin-Manuel Miranda tweet:
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.