Here’s a sign that we need action on climate change: Water levels in one of the world’s most iconic lakes, Lake Tahoe, have plummeted. That’s not good. Federal climate legislation could help, but basically the entire GOP and Democrat Joe Manchin are opposed. We’ll discuss what that means for our climate priorities at home and abroad. Plus, the superrich are getting richer, and a poetic Make Me Smile moment.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “Joe Manchin reportedly opposes key Biden climate program” from NPR
- “Lake Tahoe waters plummet due to drought and climate change” from the Los Angeles Times
- “The myth of the climate moderate: Joe Manchin isn’t a centrist” from Vox
- “Video Message of the Holy Father on the occasion of the Fourth World Meeting of Popular Movements (EMMP) (16 October 2021) | Francis” from the Vatican
- “Zillow Pauses Homebuying as Tech-Powered Flipping Hits Snag” from Yahoo
- “Jerome Powell Sold More Than a Million Dollars of Stock as the Market Was Tanking” from The American Prospect
- “Top 1% of U.S. Earners Now Hold More Wealth Than All of the Middle Class” from Bloomberg
- “Netflix Estimates ‘Squid Game’ Will Be Worth Almost $900 Billion” from Bloomberg
- Monday’s listener-submitted Make Me Smile
What’s making you smile these days? Let us know. Send a voice memo or give us a call at 508-82-SMART (508-827-6278).
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.