It’s almost hack to say at this point, but it’s worth remembering: If what President Donald Trump and his campaign are doing right now — refusing to concede a called election, eroding trust in the democratic process, asking for ballots to be tossed — if all that was happening in another country, we’d be talking about it very differently. It’s worth unpacking why that is, which we’ll do today. But first: We’ll explain the feud between Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Fed Chair Jerome Powell and present yet more evidence that you should stay home for Thanksgiving. Seriously.
Here’s a list of everything we talked about today:
- “The coronavirus risk for a big Thanksgiving dinner in your community” from The Washington Post
- “Don’t rely on a negative test result to see your family for Thanksgiving” from CNN
- “Treasury moves to end several crisis-era programs, drawing pushback from the Fed” from CNBC
- “Federal Reserve’s Emergency Loan Programs at Center of Political Fight” from The New York Times
- “Dog at Delaware SPCA for 866 days finds forever home” from Fox 29 Philadelphia
- This Twitter exchange between Chef José Andrés and Chris Krebs, the recently fired director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency
- Kai’s interview with Andrés from 2018
Join us tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time/6:30 p.m. Eastern for our live happy hour episode on YouTube! Subscribe so you don’t miss out.
Finally: We need your voice memos! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood to answer! Here’s how to do it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.