It’s almost hack to say at this point, but it’s worth remembering: If what President Donald Trump and his campaign are doing right now — refusing to concede a called election, eroding trust in the democratic process, asking for ballots to be tossed — if all that was happening in another country, we’d be talking about it very differently. It’s worth unpacking why that is, which we’ll do today. But first: We’ll explain the feud between Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Fed Chair Jerome Powell and present yet more evidence that you should stay home for Thanksgiving. Seriously.
Here’s a list of everything we talked about today:
- “The coronavirus risk for a big Thanksgiving dinner in your community” from The Washington Post
- “Don’t rely on a negative test result to see your family for Thanksgiving” from CNN
- “Treasury moves to end several crisis-era programs, drawing pushback from the Fed” from CNBC
- “Federal Reserve’s Emergency Loan Programs at Center of Political Fight” from The New York Times
- “Dog at Delaware SPCA for 866 days finds forever home” from Fox 29 Philadelphia
- This Twitter exchange between Chef José Andrés and Chris Krebs, the recently fired director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency
- Kai’s interview with Andrés from 2018
Join us tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time/6:30 p.m. Eastern for our live happy hour episode on YouTube! Subscribe so you don’t miss out.
Finally: We need your voice memos! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood to answer! Here’s how to do it.
Listening makes you smarter…
donating makes it all possible.
You asked for it, and we delivered: “Make Me Smart” is now coming to you five days a week, helping you make sense of what’s happening every day.
As a nonprofit news organization, our future depends on your investment in the essential service we provide.