Things felt so quaint when we covered the video app TikTok on the show last year. Lil Nas X was topping the chart, and parent company ByteDance had just racked up a few million in Federal Trade Commission fines. Now, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is floating a ban on Chinese social media apps, citing national security concerns, and that’s got Molly’s son and other teens on edge. We’ll talk about it, plus parking lots and roller coasters.
Here’s a list of some of the stuff we’re talking about today:
- “I’ve Seen a Future Without Cars, and It’s Amazing” from The New York Times
- Our episode about TikTok from last summer
- “TikTok likes and views are broken as community worries over potential US ban” from TechCrunch
- “How the Trump administration could ‘ban’ TikTok” from the Verge
- This Reddit post about streaming services and Harvard.
- “Reopened Theme Parks Ban Screaming on Roller Coasters. Riders Are Howling.” from The Wall Street Journal
Finally, subscribe to our YouTube Channel and join Kai and Molly tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. Pacific for happy hour!
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.