A Rolex watch and Peloton coverage topped the list of presidential “scandals” Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood were none to happy to read about this week. They dive into why the media (ahem) shouldn’t be spending so much time on this kind of coverage. Later in the show, they’ll finally share their very specific predictions for 2021, and pay tribute to the late home run king, Hank Aaron. Plus, a short round of “Half Full, Half Empty.” Have a great weekend!
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “Is That a Rolex on Biden’s Wrist?” from The New York Times
- “Biden Has a Peloton Bike. That Raises Issues at the White House.” also from The New York Times
- “People Are So, So Mad at GameStop Investors and FinTok Influencers” from Vice
- “GameStop soars nearly 70%, trading briefly halted amid epic short squeeze” from CNBC
- “Hank Aaron, Home Run King Who Defied Racism, Dies at 86” from The New York Times
- “Pandemic drives backyard ice rink boom” from Marketplace
- “Instacart is firing every employee who voted to unionize” from The Verge
- Finally, here are all the links to listen to Dessa’s song “Who’s Yellen Now?”
Finally: We need your help! It’s our four-year anniversary — we started this show right after Donald Trump’s inauguration — and to mark the occasion, we’re looking for your voice memos. No matter your politics, what do you want the “other side” to know about you? You can define the other side however you’d like, just record yourself and send it to email@example.com, and thanks!
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.