Progressive Democrats are pressuring President Joe Biden to replace Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell. But how did a non-economist even come to head the Fed anyway? That’s one of the listener questions we answer on this Whaddya Wanna Know Wednesday. We’ll also talk about mismatching in the labor market and who the United States is borrowing money from. Plus, Molly reveals her super-secret project!
Here’s everything we talked about:
- “The long and twisting story of how Jay Powell became our next Federal Reserve chair” from “Marketplace”
- “Progressives led by AOC call for Biden to replace Fed Chair Powell” from CNN
- “The debt-ceiling fight, explained” from The Washington Post
- “A record number of job openings, but only so-so on the hiring front” from “Marketplace”
- “3 ‘mismatches’ that explain the labor shortage” from Business Insider
- “What is geoengineering—and why should you care?” from MIT Technology Review
- Molly’s super-secret project: “Introducing ‘How We Survive'”
Our show needs your voice! Tell us what you think of the show or ask a question for our hosts to answer! Send a voice memo or give us a call at 508-82-SMART (508-827-6278).
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.