Look at a well-heeled publication like the Financial Times today and you’ll see that investors are in “uproar” about President Joe Biden’s proposed capital gains tax hike on the superrich. Today we kindly — eh, maybe not-so-kindly — ask everyone to pump the brakes a bit. Plus: vaccine nationalism, D.C. statehood and much more on this jam-packed happy hour episode.
Here’s everything we talked about today:
- “U.S. defends restrictions on export of COVID-19 vaccine raw materials amid India’s request to lift ban” from the Hindu
- “Some mass vaccination sites in U.S. close as demand begins to fall.” from The New York Times
- “CDC, FDA lift pause on using J&J’s coronavirus vaccine, add safety warning” from CNN
- “JPMorgan apologises for backing breakaway football Super League” from the Financial Times
- “Investors in uproar over Biden’s proposed capital gains tax rise” from the Financial Times
- The topics we covered in Half Full/Half Empty: tax credits for vaccine time off, D.C. statehood, Overtime Sports, U.S. gas emissions and LeVar Burton hosting “Jeopardy!”
- Finally, here’s a link to join the fan-run Make Me Smart Discord server
Join us on YouTube Fridays at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time/6:30 p.m. Eastern for our live happy hour episode! Subscribe to our channel and sign up for notifications so you don’t miss it.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.
Donate now to get almost any thank-you gift.