IBM’s stock price slumped this week after the company announced it would get out of the facial recognition business for fear that it could lead to racist, abusive surveillance. So what do we make of that? We’ll talk about this disconnect between our national moment of racial reckoning and Wall Street on today’s Whadda Ya Wanna Know Wednesday.
Here’s links to some of what we’re talking about today:
- “Following messy start, enormous Paycheck Protection Program shows signs of buttressing economy” from the Washington Post
- “What is a moral hazard?” from Investopedia
- “Five things Corporate America can do besides tweeting to combat racism” from CNN
- “Why it matters that IBM is getting out of the facial recognition business” from Recode
- “Amazon bans police from using its facial recognition technology for the next year” from the Verge
- Finally, this objectively incorrect take from White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.