We’re 135 days into the COVID-19 pandemic and the bottom could fall out of the economy in a few days. Everyone’s having a hard time in some way, so our main message for today’s happy hour episode is this: Be nice to someone, or a few someones, this weekend. Also on tap, the mask policy at McDonald’s, a somewhat-related thing about George H.W. Bush, baseball’s return and more on that AOC speech. TGIF!
Here’s a list of everything we talked about today:
- “Trump Is Putting On a Show in Portland” from the Atlantic
- “How McDonald’s plans to enforce its new mask policy” from CNN
- This Twitter conversation about unemployment insurance
- “Cutting UI benefits by $400 per week will significantly harm U.S. families, jobs, and growth” from the Economic Policy Institute
- “Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Breaks C-SPAN Twitter Video Records With Floor Speech” from the Wrap
- “What century does Trump think American women are living in?” from the Washington Post
- Finally… Tom Hanks hawking hot dogs
Thanks to everyone who joined us live on YouTube! Subscribe so you don’t miss the next one.
None of us is as smart as all of us.
No matter how bananapants your day is, “Make Me Smart” is here to help you through it all— 5 days a week.
It’s never just a one-way conversation. Your questions, reactions, and donations are a vital part of the show. And we’re grateful for every single one.