Tech talent was a major draw for Amazon in selecting New York City and Northern Virginia for its new headquarters. Both locations have existing pools of skilled workers; both are places where talent wants to live. But the colleges and universities producing the pipeline of much of that talent were also a significant draw. Notably, New York City’s Cornell Tech campus is located directly across from Amazon’s future home in Long Island City, while Virginia Tech just announced it’s building a new billion-dollar Innovation Campus a couple of miles from Amazon’s new Arlington location.
- Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
- Established: 1872
- Campus environment: Rural/college town
- Type: Public, undergraduate and graduate
- Annual graduate resident tuition: $15,510
- Annual graduate nonresident tuition: $29,629
- Total student body: 34,440
- U.S. News ranking: #76 in national universities
- Location: Roosevelt Island, New York
- Established: 2012
- Campus environment: Urban
- Type: Private, graduate
- Annual tuition: $54,584-$102,652 (depending on program)
- Total student body: Approximately 300 in 2017
- U.S. News ranking: N/A
Click the audio player above to hear the full story.
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.