Tech talent was a major draw for Amazon in selecting New York City and Northern Virginia for its new headquarters. Both locations have existing pools of skilled workers; both are places where talent wants to live. But the colleges and universities producing the pipeline of much of that talent were also a significant draw. Notably, New York City’s Cornell Tech campus is located directly across from Amazon’s future home in Long Island City, while Virginia Tech just announced it’s building a new billion-dollar Innovation Campus a couple of miles from Amazon’s new Arlington location.
- Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
- Established: 1872
- Campus environment: Rural/college town
- Type: Public, undergraduate and graduate
- Annual graduate resident tuition: $15,510
- Annual graduate nonresident tuition: $29,629
- Total student body: 34,440
- U.S. News ranking: #76 in national universities
- Location: Roosevelt Island, New York
- Established: 2012
- Campus environment: Urban
- Type: Private, graduate
- Annual tuition: $54,584-$102,652 (depending on program)
- Total student body: Approximately 300 in 2017
- U.S. News ranking: N/A
Click the audio player above to hear the full story.
If you’re a member of your local public radio station, we thank you — because your support helps those stations keep programs like Marketplace on the air. But for Marketplace to continue to grow, we need additional investment from those who care most about what we do: superfans like you.
Your donation — as little as $5 — helps us create more content that matters to you and your community, and to reach more people where they are – whether that’s radio, podcasts or online.
When you contribute directly to Marketplace, you become a partner in that mission: someone who understands that when we all get smarter, everybody wins.
make public service
Thank you for doing your part!