From the Marketplace Datebook, here's what's coming up April 11:
- In Washington, the Labor Department issues its Producer Price Index for March.
- The International Energy Agency releases its monthly oil market report on supply and demand around the globe.
- The University of Michigan releases its preliminary April consumer sentiment survey.
- "Houston, we've had a problem here." That was communication from the aborted Apollo 13 mission that launched on April 11, 1970. The crew didn't land on the Moon as planned, but they did eventually splash down safely on Earth. You probably saw the movie.
- Iowans were the first to pay a state tax on cigarettes. A 2 cent per pack tax was imposed on April 11, 1921.
- And foodies probably already know that it's National Cheese Fondue Day. What beats things dipped in cheese? Help me. I'm drawing a blank.
“I think the best compliment I can give is not to say how much your programs have taught me (a ton), but how much Marketplace has motivated me to go out and teach myself.” – Michael in Arlington, VABEFORE YOU GO